Skip to main content

Doxorubicin for Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma

Doxorubicin, The Red Devil in VDC Chemo for a rare soft tissue Sarcoma cancer.



When I saw the Doxorubicin, I thought of that woman, in the IR who was so distraught about her son. I started to get that sense of seeing myself coming and going in the caregivers and family of the other patients. 

This chemo can be toxic to the heart, there is a lifetime limit of doses. I was told 6 doses for Mathew. I suppose when you are hoping for a year or two of survival, long-term effects of treatments is a secondary concern.  I wasn’t afraid of it yet. It wasn’t until I saw how Mathew reacted to this chemotherapy and thought about the potential for cardiac toxicity.

It was a long day, Mathew slept as much as possible. I read, drank coffee, and went to get us something to eat from the cafeteria. 

When the treatment was through, I packed up the rolling bag and pushed Mathew in the wheelchair out to the valet to bring our car. On the way home Mathew complained about his chest hurting and could hardly put together two words. It was as if he had gone 10 rounds with a heavyweight boxer. Like he was punch drunk. Overtime whenever he had this chemo I was afraid his heart would give out on him. It wasn’t until months later when I asked Dr. Reed that he told me that if that any heart damage would be several years away.

I was the only person who went with Mathew for these treatments, the only person who saw the horrible side effects. 


Since watching Mathew go through these procedures and treatments with the knowledge his time was limited under the best case scenario, I can’t imagine complaining about any pain, sickness or discomfort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...