Skip to main content

Replace the 3 Lumen Pic Line with a Port

Mathew's 3 Lumen Pic Line was replaced with a Power P.A.C. Both Mathew and I were given Medical I.D. cards to carry at all times.

I have mentioned before that texting from the DRC is almost impossible. The staff told me it used to be the X-ray department so the walls are leaded. Again, the phone tree would have helped so much. I texted the following information to my niece, my sister and Mathew’s Dad and Stepmom. And probably Joseph and Carlos. I know that could have been reduced to two texts, three at the most. At the time  I didn’t know about group messaging as my phone was an old Android.



Texts Between me and Diane


Hi. We are at the hospital early
because Mat is in a lot of pain. 
We think the bill stent may have moved.
Sent 3-31-14


Because he was NPO for other 
procedure they should be able
to fix today.
Sent 3-31-14


In the DRC sending texts is almost
impossible so if you don’t hear from
me for a while don’t worry.
If any big problems I will call.
Sent 3-31-14


                  Oh no! Ok please do!
                  Tell him we love him.
                  Rec’d 3-31-14


Blood work in……
DRUM ROLL!!!!
Bilirubin 2.6 a new low!!
All his other blood work
looks good too.
Sent 3-31-14

Getting him ready. Going to
put the port in first and then
will ck the placement of 
the stent.
Sent 3-31-14

Holding off on admitting. 
Assuming stent just needs
to be repositioned.
Sent 3-31-14


                 I’m praying that’s all it is.
                 Wow. Chemo is working
                 since Bilirubin is so low!
                 Thank you Jesus.
                 Thanks for keeping me
                 posted.
                 So sorry you are having
                 to deal w/so much of this
                 on your own. A lonely and
                 difficult position to be in I
                 know. ((hugs))
                 Rec’d 3-31-14


Thanks Diane.
I think he’s going to 
surprise the doctors. I feel
like I did when I was pregnant.
Holding my breath and waiting.
Wondering if I will have 1 boy or 
2 and will they be healthy.
Sent 3-31-14


                           ….and it was 2
                           awesome boys!
                           Rec’d 3-31-14


Absolutely. We need to keep
it that way. This is
a group effort.
Sent 3-31-14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...