Skip to main content

Doxorubicin VAC Chemotherapy for Soft Tissue Sarcoma, DSRCT

Doxorubicin for Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma

The “red stuff”

Cancer, chemotherapy, and other treatments are scary enough on their own, but we found that there were certain medicines or situations that stood out as particularly frightening. As with many things during this time, our understanding of their full implications came in small doses.

Some of these lessons came while we were at Interventional Radiology.
-This is the place Mat had his port put in.
-His biliary stent.
-Every time its' position needed to be checked.
IR is where minimally invasive procedures are done, such as placing a port or in Mathew’s case, all the procedures with his biliary stent and lung drains. They use imaging for these procedures, so every time Mathew had something done to his biliary stent or had the placement of it checked, he saw a close-up of his tumor.
 “It’s all blown out in there, Mom,” He said one time.
We went there a lot.
In the beginning, I used to wait in the waiting room. That would change too.

I always went with Mathew for any procedure, even x-rays, scans, and anything non-invasive. Transport would take him around the back of the 5th floor to the patient and staff elevators, down to the second floor, past The Sarcoma Clinic and into IR through the back way. Then once Mathew was prepped and ready for his procedure I would go out to the waiting room.
It consisted of a wall of chairs, maybe 12 total. Basically, it was a hallway. The opposite wall had four generic floral prints. I used to sit there and in my mind, I decided the prints were in the wrong order and I would imagine changing them. I suppose it was a way my mind kept itself occupied.

One day I was sitting there and a woman came out from IR into the waiting room. She was very distraught. I gathered from what I overheard between her and one of the doctors, that her son had come in and wasn’t in very good shape.
“Has anyone had someone get that clinical trial drug?” she asked all of us.
I shook my head. For some reason dread set in my heart.
“It’s that red stuff,” she continued. “It’s coming out of his eyes, his pores, everywhere.”

It sounded so frightening to me. I couldn’t imagine how her son had come to be in that position. It was like that scene in Stephen King’s “The Mist” when the woman in the grocery store says her children are home alone and won’t someone see her home? Anyone? And everyone shrinks back, not wanting to get drawn into her nightmare.
That’s how it was that day. I felt so sorry for that woman. And deep down I wondered if that would one day be me.

Later we would find out one of the chemotherapy drugs Mathew received on his one-day VAC treatment for DSRCT was called “the Red Devil”, though I don’t know, have no way of knowing, or finding out if that’s what that woman was talking about. Though Doxorubicin was not a trial drug at that time.

****Doxorubicin also known as Adriamycin, is the A in VAC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair Loss After Chemo for Sarcoma, My Son's Point of View

I can't imagine or pretend to know how it feels to lose your hair because you have cancer and the chemo causes your hair to fall out.  I only know what I saw with Mathew and years ago, my sister Elizabeth's experience as they lost their hair to chemotherapy. But it was something that affected Mathew more than just the initial hair loss, it had nuances. Here is a journal entry. It's short but I think it speaks volumes. MATHEW’S JOURNAL     5-23-14 Lately, I’ve been envious of people’s hair. Well, I guess not envious of other people’s hair but missing mine. I told my Mom about it and expressed to her that I was afraid I was falling prey to vanity. She expressed the idea that I may be missing having hair because it’s part of being healthy. I do miss having a life and at the same time, I’m afraid that I may never have a full life again or that I may lose what’s left of the one I have. -  I’ve been thinking about dying a lot lately. I don’t know why it has hit

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded by loved ones

Replace the 3 Lumen Pic Line with a Port

Mathew's 3 Lumen Pic Line was replaced with a Power P.A.C. Both Mathew and I were given Medical I.D. cards to carry at all times. I have mentioned before that texting from the DRC is almost impossible. The staff told me it used to be the X-ray department so the walls are leaded. Again, the phone tree would have helped so much. I texted the following information to my niece, my sister and Mathew’s Dad and Stepmom. And probably Joseph and Carlos. I know that could have been reduced to two texts, three at the most. At the time  I didn’t know about group messaging as my phone was an old Android. Texts Between me and Diane Hi. We are at the hospital early because Mat is in a lot of pain.  We think the bill stent may have moved. Sent 3-31-14 Because he was NPO for other  procedure they should be able to fix today. Sent 3-31-14 In the DRC sending texts is almost impossible so if you don’t hear from me for a while don’t worry. If any big pr