Skip to main content

From Mathew's Journal Bucket List

Mathew's Journal


3-8-14

— From here forward this book will no longer be notes of doctors words

—Those type of words invariably become very scary

They are large, but unseen, bird of prey. A hawk descending upon a young turkey or chicken.
The rest of us standing back, aghast. Our heads and necks filling with rainwater as we stare at what was previously a clear sky.

This, of course, should not be taken as a dissertation of doctors, only their words.

One of them, Dr. Knight, sat down with me today and let me know that I may die. Which was always a possibility, but more than I thought originally. She asked me what were four things I want to do before I die.

I said:
 1. Finish my album.
 2. Finish my book.
 3. see my nephew born.
 4. see Russell’s 14th birthday.

She then asked me how close I was to finishing the first two.
“About 75%,” I said.
She wrote that down.
I felt the air pressure in the room shift. It became harder to breathe like being in a high elevator.
I asked some more questions. I don’t remember the answers. 
“One last question,” I said.
“Yes.”
“I know it’s not time yet, but can I have another Xanax.”


My Mom has been sitting adjacent to us.
“Do you mind if I go outside and ask Dr. Knight a few questions?”
Sure,” I tell her. “Just make sure not to distract her from getting my medicine.”


Later that same day
My brother buys me a pair of new Batman pajamas and after sometime when I don’t put them on in a satisfactory amount of time, he puts them on himself. I protest and he changes out of them.


Unexpectedly Dr. Whitt and Father Dan paid me a visit, which was good for my spirits (in a number of ways hahaha).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...