Skip to main content

This is the Story of Sarcoma


Where do I start?

The story of Mathew's cancer did not start when the medical community finally recognized the problem. It started much earlier, but the road to Mathew's diagnosis is a tragedy and deserving of a blog of its own. This blog will begin with his long-overdue diagnosis.

Sarcomas are the rarest cancers and predominantly affect the young and are often misdiagnosed with tragic consequences. Soft-tissue Sarcomas are usually fatal after months of devastating treatments. This is the story of Sarcoma.

For reference:
The number of new breast cancer diagnoses in the US is approximately 256,000. 
           Close to the population of Madison, Wisconsin.

The number of Sarcomas diagnosed last year, 12,390. 
                           For a visual of this number see images for Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Ok.

The number of Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma patients? 
                          The number of students in a small classroom. 20.


A word about the people in Mathew's life that year.

I will mention a Stepmother and a Stepsister, not to demean or make less the importance of them in my son's life but rather to explain why one of the items of his bucket list was to survive to see his new nephew. So you know that Mathew was an Uncle, yet I have no Grandchildren. Another to see his little brother's next birthday, though my only children are Mathew and his twin brother Joseph.

Mathew's care was a group effort, and we supported each other. 


I will be as honest as possible; we all made mistakes and had our conflicts. It would be easy to gloss over, but I will not.

Comments

  1. Billie -always MomMay 2, 2018 at 11:49 AM

    Hello, here I sit in my bed. I should be doing so many things, but it's getting closer to the anniversary of my son's death from this devastating cancer. He was 15 by the time we found out that this cancer was raging through his body. We were informed that he was at stage 4 and had a half hour to gather our things and get him to the oncology unit. His liver was shutting down. We tried everything but he passed away at 16. I appreciate all of the entries you have posted. Your son's music and his words are most heartwrenchingly beautiful. I do believe i have become stronger around it as the years have past (8 years coming up) that I can carry the pain versus the pain dragging me. May you have strength to keep going today. You have helped me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...