Skip to main content

Mathew's Journey Through DSRCT Continues

I’ve been looking at the pages of texts messages I have and Mathew’s Journal entries for the next few days. I look at it all and it’s a mass of pain, to the hospital, home from the hospital, medical ups and downs and Mathew navigating it all physically and emotionally and I feel like I am trudging through thick cloying mud as I write these blog posts. And I wonder what you, the reader thinks and feels. Does it seem like an endless drudgery of depressing procedures and physical and emotional pain? 

Constant, constant constant. 

If that is how it comes across, then I have successfully conveyed the feelings of this part of the journey.

And I continue:


From Mathew’s Journal

3-29-14
Wake up nauseous again. Then headed to the bathroom for the gross morning rituals.

The day went by with me sleeping. I have been very tired since my last chemo.

At 12:00 pm I go NPO because tomorrow I go get a port to replace the nuisance of a pic line.

Honestly, though, I can say I am a little scared as the last procedure for the lung catheter was so painful.

I need to change my bandages again and finish up with the antibiotic IV and flush the final pic line.

3-31-14

Excruciating pain is the only way to describe today. It was in my liver port and moves up to my right shoulder.  ***(Remember the warning on the Neulasta shot?)


We woke up early this day in order to do everything needed before leaving the house and getting to Moffitt in time for Mathew’s appointment at the IR.
But when Mathew woke up he was in excruciating pain. So as soon as he was ready I said let’s go. I called ahead and was told to go to the DRC as soon as we arrived. They put Mathew in a room and within minutes Dr. Knight was there. Mathew was screaming in pain. She grabbed his hand and put her face close to his and asked him what type of pain and where. Within minutes she had ordered pain meds for him and they were starting to work. Dr. Knight was concerned because this had been the most pain Mathew had been in, to date.


IR to put a port in around 9:00 and at the time they examined the bill bag through CT with contrast and said it was working. By now it started draining again, but the pain is still excruciating.


Dr. Knight helps with pain. Holds my hands and hooks me up to generous amounts of Dilaudid** I did not know how much longer my industrial fortitude would have held out. In fact, it pains me to write about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...