Skip to main content

Texts Between Mom and Diane Chemo and Insurance

Texts between me and Diane.

He’s in the most pain I’ve seen in a while.
Sent March 12

Why More?….just being moved around and
port etc?
Rec’d March 12

Took lots of fluid off of right lung.
Sent March 12

Sorry I’m running a little behind, Danielle and Dan
came over. I’m leaving now.
Rec’d March 12

Ok
Sent March 12

If Mat becomes overly sedated acting or
very confused….let the nurse know.
Sent March 12

Yes, she explained what to look for.
Rec’d March 12

Did he do ok last night?
Sent March 12


Was very stressed by chemo but did good. A tiny
nausea but alerted nurse and meds helped
immediately. Team came by…no new orders except
phy therapy to come.
Rec’d March 13

Help him get up and walk.

Great. I am finishing laundry
getting cleaned up. Then to post office
and quick stop at my parents.
Sent March 13


Arpie said to bring all medical bills to you. 
Remember to ask me for them.
Sent March 13

No rush as I said….take your time…I’m ok.
Rec’d March 13

Debra Bock R.N.*** is coming back a little later to have a
conference call w/insurance over injection drugs
needed when at home. I prob need to be here for
that also.
Rec’d March 13


****Debra Bock, RN, RN Case Manager.. She was an amazing resource which will become obvious and Diane and I start navigating insurance, pharmacy, the discharge process and meds for at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...