Skip to main content

Part Two of Mathew's First Discharge from Moffitt


This post will consist of text messages, an article quoting Dr. Reed, the Sarcoma Doctor, and an explanation of how the pain pump works for dosing and translating all of that information into meds for going home and why it takes a day or so for the transition.

Texts Between me and Diane

Not home today. Still 
transitioning to oral 
pain management.
Sent March 17


Stent won’t be internalized for a few months 
after tumor shrinks and takes pressure off of
bile duct and liver.
VAC is 12 hours.
For going home you need to go
downstairs and verify insurance and
take Mathew’s I.D. I will cash check 
today and give you cash and when
you are here we can go to the pharmacy
together and figure it out.
Sent March 17

I’ll plan on being there about 8:15
tomorrow to get insurance info taken
care of. Been on phone with them for
past hour getting other claims straightened
out…..again.
Have they installed the pleural drain (pigtail)
yet?
Rec’d March 17

Going now
Sent March 17

Ok. Good.
Rec’d March 17


He is waiting to go in. Should be
done by 5.
Sent March 17


They just took him back. Carlos is
here with me. We will get him
something good to eat afterward.
Sent March 17

He’s all done and did well. Should be
going back to room soon. Let 
Arpie know.
Sent March 17


When I saw the lung drain they had hooked up to Mathew my heart sank. Just as he was about to go home and he has a thick laptop-sized box attached to him by tubes. How in the world would he be mobile with that thing and how would it work out at home. Then Dr. Creelan came in and he was not pleased. “That’s not what I ordered,” he said.



Not going home today. If you want
to do paperwork tomorrow.
Sent March 18


Ok. But will go ahead and get
it done today.
Rec’d March 18

Done! Quick and easy…. surprise!
I’ll meet you in the main lobby, 1st floor.
Rec’d March 18

Coming

Today they are changing out that
larger lung cath for a small tube
under a bandage.
Sent March 18

It was going to be tomorrow but
bumped to today.
Sent March 18

Hope that helps with pain. On my way
to work now but if I can help later today
with any of my Moffitt contacts to get
things straightened out, let me know and
I’ll do what I can. Have you seen Dr. Reed
yesterday or today?
Rec’d March 18

No Dr. Reed yet. I’ll ask
here in a bit. Carlos will be
here this afternoon with me.
Sent March 18


I remember the first time Dr. Reed came to Mathew’s room. It was a short visit, he was very pleasant but I wonder now, how he felt coming to see Mathew for the first time. I wonder what he thought when he knew he had a patient with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma.

I found an article about rare cancers in which Dr. Reed is quoted. His quote about DSRCT is telling. Take a moment and read the article 
Interestingly enough, this article was posted at the same time Dr. Reed was treating Mathew.



He needs to be made aware that team has
made numerous and repeated errors 
including nurses error on Friday telling Mat
he could eat which kept him from getting
drain…which now has caused problems w/                                 
     backing down pain  meds…
Grrrr
Rec’d March 18

Mat is going to need something to eat after 
he gets back to the room. He wants a
sandwich from Public. He’s sending order.
Sent March 18

K
Rec’d March 18

They just took him back. I hope he
doesn’t have anywhere near the same 
amount of pain as last night.
Sent March 18


Early on, in the first week at Moffit I asked the pain and palliative team how the pain pump worked, with the bolus dose and how did they determined what adjustments need to be made by based on Mathew’s use of the button. They would come in and unlock the pump, push some buttons, make some notes and adjust the meds. Then when it was time for Mat to go home, those same doses needed to be translated to pills.

So this is how the palliative care doctor explained all of this to me.

The PCA (patient controlled analgesia) pump is adjusted based on the patient's comfort level and the amount of drug (morphine, Dilaudid, or fentanyl) which was required to achieve that comfort.  For example, if a patient was receiving 1mg an hour but his pain was still 10, we would normally double to 2mg an hour; and/or if it was at 1mg an hour and he had used 24 extra doses to maintain comfort, we would divide the 24 by 24 hours and change the dose to 2mg an hour. 

Changing between IV and oral is a mathematical calculation. If a patient required 1mg of Dilaudid an hour IV, or  24mg IV daily, that would be the same as about 120mg of oral Dilaudid or 480mg of oral morphine, because IV opiates are quite a bit more effective than oral ones.

















































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair Loss After Chemo for Sarcoma, My Son's Point of View

I can't imagine or pretend to know how it feels to lose your hair because you have cancer and the chemo causes your hair to fall out.  I only know what I saw with Mathew and years ago, my sister Elizabeth's experience as they lost their hair to chemotherapy. But it was something that affected Mathew more than just the initial hair loss, it had nuances. Here is a journal entry. It's short but I think it speaks volumes. MATHEW’S JOURNAL     5-23-14 Lately, I’ve been envious of people’s hair. Well, I guess not envious of other people’s hair but missing mine. I told my Mom about it and expressed to her that I was afraid I was falling prey to vanity. She expressed the idea that I may be missing having hair because it’s part of being healthy. I do miss having a life and at the same time, I’m afraid that I may never have a full life again or that I may lose what’s left of the one I have. -  I’ve been thinking about dying a lot lately. I don’t know why it has hit

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded by loved ones

Replace the 3 Lumen Pic Line with a Port

Mathew's 3 Lumen Pic Line was replaced with a Power P.A.C. Both Mathew and I were given Medical I.D. cards to carry at all times. I have mentioned before that texting from the DRC is almost impossible. The staff told me it used to be the X-ray department so the walls are leaded. Again, the phone tree would have helped so much. I texted the following information to my niece, my sister and Mathew’s Dad and Stepmom. And probably Joseph and Carlos. I know that could have been reduced to two texts, three at the most. At the time  I didn’t know about group messaging as my phone was an old Android. Texts Between me and Diane Hi. We are at the hospital early because Mat is in a lot of pain.  We think the bill stent may have moved. Sent 3-31-14 Because he was NPO for other  procedure they should be able to fix today. Sent 3-31-14 In the DRC sending texts is almost impossible so if you don’t hear from me for a while don’t worry. If any big pr