Skip to main content

Ifosfamide and Etoposide Doses from Mathew's Medical Records

From Mathew’s medical records.
Actual chemo doses.

3/12/14
ETOPOSIDE 
etoposide + sodium chloride 0.9%
DOSE: 100 mg, IVPB Q 24 hr.
Dose rate  555 mL/hr infuse over 1 hr

IFOSFAMIDE
ifosfamide + sodium chlorida 0.9% 
DOSE:  1,900 mg IVPB, Q 24 hr, Dose rate  588 mL/hr infuse over 1 hr.


MESNA
I am not going to go over the doses because it changes with the day and the chemo being given. It continues to run after the last chemo. Again, it is to protect his bladder.


10 mg of Dexamethasone by IV to prevent nausea

Also for nausea or vomiting:
Ondansetron
Prochlorperazine
Promethazine

There were other medications for the following:
pain
anxiety
antibiotics
itching (from high bilirubin)
to bind the bilirubin (3 of these)
stool softener
diuretic
acid suppression
indigestion
prevent blood from being too thin

Imagine a soccer ball inserted into your abdomen, maybe it needs to be smushed around in order to make it fit. Think about all of the organs and body parts it would impact. 

Mathew couldn’t have a bowel movement without being doubled up in pain afterward.  Pain added on top of the pain from the tumor.

Most of the time, especially in the beginning, Mathew wanted the room quiet and subdued. No matter how late the chemo was given I stayed awake and if Mathew couldn’t sleep, I stayed awake with him.
Often I sat in the visitor's chair, near the window.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...