Skip to main content

Patient Consent to Sperm Cryopreservation and Storage USF IVF

One of the first things that happened with the diagnosis, transfer to chemo floor and impending first treatment was the discussion of one of the side effects of the chemo Mathew would receive. That was sterility. A program was set up where sperm (and I assume ova for women) could be harvested and saved so once a cancer patient has been cured, they can still start a family one day.

Mathew had always wanted his own family and I always saw him as settling down, getting married and having children. 
So, the paperwork was provided.

At that time, it was $100 for analysis after drop off, which had to be no more than 60 minutes after collection.  Arpie, Diane and I had worked out the logistics. It was a bit of a drive and traffic could be an issue.

Then, the sperm was stored by cryopreservation.

Mathew filled out paperwork appointing me as the designee to decide the disposition of any frozen sperm if Mathew should die.

I didn’t  have the money to make the first payment, so Arpie and Diane did.
The first years' storage payment, well, we figured we would worry about that later.

Unfortunately, because of the tumor and edema, Mathew was unable to provide a sample. It was a very depressing day for him.


There would be another chance later. That would be a very depressing day for me.

****Update to this post, on 4/3/2018
Yesterday I found a poem Mathew wrote about this time. The blog link is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...