Skip to main content

How to Be a Spiritual Caregiver

No matter what your religious beliefs are, it is important that you have someone who can speak for you if you are too sick or are near death. To ensure that your spiritual wishes are taken care of in the manner you desire. It’s not a time for argument or schisms between family and friends regarding religion. Dying should be a time of peaceful prayer of the choice of the person whose life is ending. This would turn out to be a struggle right up to and after Mathew’s last breath.


Mathew had a difficult time sleeping at night. This had been going on for sometime before his diagnosis and continued until after he started receiving chemotherapy. In those first two weeks at Moffitt, I recall one night in particular. We were both awake. Mathew asked if I would read to him. His sister Danielle, had given him a book, “Living Buddha, Living Christ” by Thich Nhat Hanh.  Mathew asked if I would read out loud to him. I did and we talked about the passages I had read and then he asked if I could pray for him, he was too sick to pray himself. This seems to be a common thread. My Mother had the same experience with my sister Beth when she was going through chemotherapy. She also asked my Mom to pray for her as she felt too sick to be able to pray for herself. 
That was the first time Mathew showed me how to use a mala and taught me the mantra, Om Mani Padme Hum. Without realizing it at the time, that was the first step in my becoming Mathew’s spiritual caregiver, his advocate to honor his spiritual wishes for when he passed and during times when he was too sick to speak for himself.

This is very important. There is a book, “Dying with Confidence: A Tibetan Buddhist Guide to Preparing for Death" by Anyen Rinpoche, which speaks to this issue, though I didn’t know about this book until after Mathew had passed away.

But that first time, in the middle of the night, when we feared that Mathew could take a turn for the worse and die any day, Mathew started to prepare me for his spiritual journey as well as his journey with cancer.
It started with a prayer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...