Skip to main content

What I Learned That First Week


Review of caregiver tips for that first week.

In addition to being there for and with Mathew and keeping up with the tests and parade of doctors I accomplished much by having nurses check for new orders, keeping in contact with the case manager and floor nurse, and pushing, making sure nothing stalled in the process, or was put on the back burner. As a result, I feel that the medical personnel involved also felt my urgency, responded to it and were actively involved at all times to get Mathew to Moffitt. In retrospect looking at all of the lab work that was done in that short week, they covered a lot of ground in eliminating possible cancers.


Thankfully our primary doctor realized Mathew could not be treated locally. In just a few days Dr. S said, “He has deteriorated too much.”
For example, his bilirubin went from 5.0 on the 22nd (normal is from below 1 to 2) to 7.5 on the 28th.

At one point the doctor talked about sending Mathew home until Moffitt contacted us. I was terrified of trying to manage his pain and care at home. My niece told me I didn’t have to accept his discharge.
 “Don’t let them send him home, Tia.” she texted me.

Another thing my niece told me is this (and remember she is an oncologist.) My Mom is a 12-year breast cancer survivor and she came in and with all her heart told my son to look at her and that she was a survivor. My niece simply said, "Not the same." This is something we would find out.


Mathew’s room was usually kept in low light and he slept whenever possible. His hospital bed was extra wide and Mathew liked it when I sat on the bed with him. He was always reclined because he couldn’t stand to lie flat, so we sat side by side, he listened to his music and when it was quiet and he was asleep I would listen to the sound of the IV  as it ran up and down a clickity scale. I imagined a little man running up, and then running down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...