Skip to main content

The Lottery and Mathew's Bucket List

I have been having some trouble this week working on posts for the blog.


For several reasons:
 - Jan 15th is the third anniversary of Mat’s passing.
 - The part of his journey I am at right now is a difficult time.
 - Waiting, hoping and pushing for things to get moving.
 - Mathew’s condition was so tenuous.
 - This is the time when Dr. Knight, the pain and palliative doctor, came in to tell Mathew that he probably isn’t going to survive this cancer.
 - And when Mathew made his bucket list.

This isn’t a linear process. I have copies of texts, journals, The Notebook, medical paperwork and more. Every so often I take the stack I have set aside (I have a few bins full of paper information) and am working on, sort out and rearrange by subject or timeline. Then, I make notes on the next few posts and write them.

I found myself obsessing over the exact timeline. I have to let that go and know that you will understand if I mix up what happened on Tuesday that first week at Moffitt with what happened on Thursday. 

The 5th floor at Moffitt consists of 5 South and 5 North. I mentioned this before that Mathew was on 5 South, Surgical Oncology.
Between north and south is a wedge-shaped lobby, one wall all windows overlooking the front of the Cancer Center and across the street, the University of South Florida campus, and the elevators. 
It was on one of these first days, I was standing in the lobby thinking about the lottery and that the fattest jackpot wouldn’t help. Of course, I could have used the money to provide better transportation, clothing, personal items and any material item Mathew would want or need. But all of the money in the world couldn’t change the fact, or the impact of this cancer.


That’s how I felt then. Thanksgiving weekend would cause me to change my mind about the relationship between money and survival.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About this Blog, A Journey Through Sarcoma

Confections for Cats, A Journey through Sarcoma is a chronicle of my son's journey through Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma. It is intended to educate and inspire by using Mathew’s thoughts and feelings, dreams and fears through a variety of mediums; art, music, and writing. Through factual experience, what we learned and what we wish we had known. Mathew’s desire was to give meaning to his journey and in the process help anyone else on a similar path. The last possible explanation in my mind for my son’s health problems was cancer. Even the words “the scan shows a large mass” didn’t lead me to conclude cancer and when the cancer diagnosis was confirmed, I still wasn’t prepared. My Mother is a breast cancer survivor and my sister Elizabeth passed away three years after her breast cancer diagnosis. I thought I knew what cancer treatment and living with cancer looked like, but none of us could imagine or be prepared for how all semblance of routine and normalcy had alre...

When a Cancer Patient Has a Medical Emergency

3 Days in the DRC, Part 1 If you haven’t read my first post about the DRC at Moffitt and how it works, since Moffitt does not have an ER, you can read about it here.  https://confectionsforcats.blogspot.com/2018/04/neutropenic-fever-after-ie-chemo-and.html In summary, the DRC is where an existing Moffitt patient is directed to go if they have a medical emergency.  Usually, we would be there a few hours or overnight (since we arrived at midnight or shortly afterward) until they had a room for Mathew on the ward. This particular visit Mathew stayed in the DRC three days. As mentioned in my other post, the DRC has maybe two rooms with a bathroom; otherwise, one bathroom for about a dozen patients. In Mathew’s case, a patient with a lowered immune system.  This time Mathew was in the room furthest from the bathroom.  When inpatient, we had a routine for getting him to the bathroom. First, he needed the IV unplugged (often quickly) and most times, I ...

The Chemo Bell at Moffitt Cancer Center

Bells ring.  Bells, chime, toll, peal, resonate and resound. Bells foretell, warn and celebrate. The Chemo Bell The Survivor Bell Cancer Centers have one or several large bells, each with a large clapper. They are mounted on the wall and when a patient receives their last chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer they ring that bell. Mathew and I heard the Chemo Bell in the Infusion Center at Moffitt ring one time. Early on our journey. Everyone clapped and cheered. Mat and I stopped and looked at the bell that day and I thought at that time, it was a possibility for Mathew. Bells have a vibration. When a chemo bell rings, when a person survives cancer (even if it’s for a short time) they resound for the rest of us. Their survival reverberates and gives the rest of us hope.  I found another chemo bell on the 5th floor at Moffitt, in the hallway, past the patient rooms.  Next to the chemo bell was a copy of a photo of a patient surrounded ...